Hey, life’s not always gonna be a rose garden…
Neither is investing in real estate, but that’s okay. You just have to learn how to keep yourself motivated, no matter what’s happening in your life.
Just like in life, your days as a real estate entrepreneur are going to have peaks and valleys.Your days as a real estate entrepreneur are going to have peaks and valleys. Click To Tweet
So how can you climb back up that hill when you feel like you’re at the bottom looking up? Since I get this question from time to time I thought I’d dedicate a short article to it and provide some answers.
Here are 5 easy strategies you can use to pull yourself back on track and moving forward:
1. Practice positive affirmations. I know… I know. It sounds all hoodoo voodoo, but it’s not. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, a little low, you’re lacking energy or think you just don’t have what it takes to keep going, writing offers, talking to investors, closing deals or whatever… stop. Breathe. Know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you can do exactly what you set out to do in real estate. Talk that negative voice in your head back into the shadows where it belongs. And if you need a little more guidance, watch this video that teaches you one of the affirmations I personally use when I need to manage my subconscious.
[youtube id=”gcB6IRW47wo” width=”600″ height=”350″ autoplay=”no” api_params=”” class=””][/youtube]
2. Surround yourself with positive individuals. While this may sound like a no-brainer, it can be easier said than done. It’s something you have to monitor. Start listening to those you surround yourself with. Do they emit positive vibes or are they typically pointing out flaws and planting seeds of doubt? There are reasons they do this, but it’s not up to you to diagnose or help them change. They get to do that on their own. You can tell them why you won’t be hanging out with them until they get a grip. As harsh as that may sound, if you don’t get a new, more positive friend set you are letting the negative people hold you back from success.
Ever heard of the crab pot theory? Not really a theory; it’s reality. If you put a bunch of crabs in a pot, those at the bottom will reach up and grab those at the top trying to get free. You gotta ask yourself… how badly do you want to escape the pot? If your answer is “real bad” then you need to adjust your own attitude and point the needle in a more positive direction. If you find those around you aren’t equally positive, get away from them. (This is a little more difficult if they are family members, but you can limit your exposure.)
Having a positive attitude is a very good thing, but like everything else it takes practice. Maybe this will help…
[youtube id=”H6jBB5iE0YA” width=”600″ height=”350″ autoplay=”no” api_params=”” class=””][/youtube]
3. Keep a vision book or journal and fill it with pictures. Hey, don’t you dare laugh. I’ve been carrying a vision book for years and I keep adding to it. In fact, I have a few of them now. Over the years my dreams and goals have gotten bigger; I’ve filled up volumes of these books. I fill them with lists, positive affirmations, goals, strategies and lots of pictures.
When I first started out my goals were simple and relatively small. I wanted to earn a few thousand dollars a month. I wanted to have a nice iPad. I wanted to own a flash drive. Yes, you read right… a flash drive. So I included images of these things in my first vision book.
Guess what I did next? I looked at those images often, I kept adding to my vision book, and I focused on what I wanted to achieve. The more I thought about it the more possible it became to my mind. I allowed these positive thoughts to fill my brain waves… and soon I had the items and the initial successes I sought.
In my first year as a real estate entrepreneur… as a wholesaler… I had earned 6 figures. My income had surpassed anyone’s in my family ever before. I was the first, and now I knew bigger goals could be reached. So I kept adding to my vision book… something I carry with me everywhere I go, even today.Wanna earn 6 figures by this time next year? Become a real estate entrepreneur. Click To Tweet
This is something I talk about and even show you in my book, which you can get for absolutely zero dollars right now by going here: www.cashflowdiary.com/freebook. I also… you guessed it… created a quick video on this topic. Watch it:
[youtube id=”siBoDr6xxTs” width=”600″ height=”350″ autoplay=”no” api_params=”” class=””][/youtube]
4. Track your time and tasks. Maybe you’re a big to-do list type. Excellent. If you’re not, why not give it a whirl? You can even add tasks you’ve done that weren’t on the list so you can scratch them off. It may sound silly, but this tiny step can make a huge impact. You will feel more accomplished and successful at the end of your day!
Something I do most days is to track my time in 15-minute increments. It’s sort of a backward to-do list if you think about it.Even the little wins in your day count as successes! Click To Tweet
For example, I know I have a lot to do in a day and I’m having a tough time getting through the calls and paperwork, emails and marketing tasks I know I need to complete. I set my timer for 15 minutes and at the end of that short period of time I jot down what I got done. It’s amazing to see everything I get through on a daily basis.
Hey, these might be little wins, but they count, too. Big wins… little wins… wins. They all count toward boosting your mental outlook and positive attitude. I talk about it in this…
[youtube id=”XAE1zW_B6A0″ width=”600″ height=”350″ autoplay=”no” api_params=”” class=””][/youtube]
5. Get out of your bubble and keep learning new things. One thing’s for sure… if you’re feeling low or overwhelmed, challenged or just simply tired of taking the action steps necessary to move you toward your success goals, staying in your house, your office, at your desk or in your own head isn’t going to help you. Try something different. Get out and do something different, learn a new skills even if it’s not related to real estate investing (though you should always be adding to that knowledge basket), and consider helping others. For example, spend a day working at the local food bank or hospital. There are many charitable groups in your area and they may welcome your volunteerism. Pretty soon you will realize that everything is not just about you and you will step through to another side of thinking and being. Then new doors will open to you.
The really funny thing is that you never know who you’ll meet next, especially when you dare to step outside your normal routine! I’ve met some amazing people in my daily travels, and several of them have either become investors or have introduced me to investors who fund my deals. (Would that have happened had I just stayed by my computer in my office at home? Um, no.)
I don’t have a video for this one specifically, but I did produce one on how to create greater possibilities through your words. Maybe that one will be of help to you! Watch it now:
[youtube id=”JzRQpynCwbs” width=”600″ height=”350″ autoplay=”no” api_params=”” class=””][/youtube]
And when you’re ready to learn more about real estate investing and being a bigger, badder, better entrepreneur who uses real estate transactions to attain true wealth and freedom in your life, take this one step out of your everyday life…