Craig Ballantyne has helped lots and lots of individuals get fit and become the people they really want to be. We aren’t just talking about getting in better physical condition or losing excess pounds either! Craig lives by what he calls “extreme example” and says that while he doesn’t expect everyone else to do exactly as he does, he hopes what he does inspires others to take action… whatever that looks like for them. Craig is often called the most disciplined man in the room, and he earned that moniker for a reason. He is highly disciplined.
What turned him into this passionate powerhouse of fitness? Craig says his earliest memory of being aware of how important transformation is to us as human beings is of his own mother who was frustrated with her weight-loss program. So what is Craig’s current goal? Helping 10,000,000 people transform their lives. I’m pretty sure he’ll get there, too! Watching his journey – from starting a simple (but really, really good) fitness newsletter that he emailed out manually in 1999 to writing so many fitness articles for publications everywhere that they’d be hard to count to where he is today, providing tons of fitness and inspirational content – is awesome. Craig continues to inspire me, so I’m pretty sure you’ll get a little buzz from listening to what he has to say during this motivational Cash Flow Diary podcast episode. Listen Now.
On this episode of Cash Flow Diary J. interviews Craig Ballyantine who helps people get fit and become who they really want to be. Craig lives by “extreme example” and hopes what he does inspires others to take action. His current goal is to help people physically, financially and emotionally in The 10,000,000 Transform Mission. After listening to this podcast you will be one of them!
[4:54] Craig’s origin story
[8:08] From farm to fitness guru
[11:00] Entrepreneurs are problem solvers
[13:40] Having more structure
[17:39] Parent and child structural relationship
[20:29] 5 minute changes
[23:00] Scripting your week
[26:43] Apply for free one-on-one breakthrough session plus J’s weekly Insight
[28:26] The five pillars of success
[36:07] Limiting factors
[39:02] Managing accomplishments
[43:08] Missing benchmarks
[45:25] Celebrating achievements
[48:49] Role of the mentor
[51:37] How to contact Craig
Main Questions Asked
- What is your ‘origin’ story?
- How did you go from living on a farm to helping 10 million people?
- Do you think ‘helping people’ is a core component necessary for an entrepreneur to be successful?
- Talk to us about having more structure
- How does structure relate the parent and child relationship?
- What is your thing about 5 minutes?
- Is ‘planning tomorrow tonight’ and ‘scripting your week’ the same thing?
- What are the building blocks to makes these shifts?
- What is the limiting factor for someone to implement the pillars?
- How does one manage their accomplishments?
- How do you process when you don’t reach your benchmarks?
- Talk about celebrating achievements
- How important is having a mentor?
- Do people who have been doing something for a while still need a mentor?
Key Lessons Learned
- You will not out earn your personal growth
- You will succeed in life when you help people and add value to the world
- One in ten thousand will say something positive but one in a million will say something negative. Don’t get caught up on the negative
- Once you are in the habit of discipline stay in the habit as getting back into the habit can be a challenge
- The more structure you have in your day the more freedom you’ll have in your life
- The more rules you have in your life the better off you will be
- g. rule – don’t check email until after lunch time, only go on Facebook once a day for a short time,
- We all feel like we are running out of time so make sure you know what the priority in your life is
- Scripting your day and week will let you know how long to spend on activities and when
- Make sure you work on your number one priority in the morning
- Your day is won in the morning
- The feeling of progress powers motivation and momentum
- If you don’t structure your day and win the morning then you’ll lose the evening with your family. That is the cost
- Structure feels like the antithesis of freedom but it actually provides freedom
Get up 5 minutes earlier and do 3 things:
- 1) Big Thinking (write down your 10 big ideas)
- 2) Go over the plan for the day
- 3) Gratitude and reflection for what you achieved and who is in your life
Scripting your Week (Plan tomorrow tonight)
- You should know what you do with the time in your day
- A time log in 15 minute blocks is a great way to figure out how you spend time
- Time logs will show where you are wasting time and where you are most productive
- Everybody has ‘magic time’ a 2 hour block where they are 3 times more productive
- When you figure out where you are weak you can figure out solutions for the obstacles to eliminate temptations
- You can download internet blockers to keep you off websites eg ESPN if you are tempted during work time
- People mess up by having to-do lists but don’t schedule the exact amount of time. You need to be realistic and you need to have cut off times
- Deadlines force you to take faster action and get things done
The Five Pillars of Success
- 1) Planning and Preparation
- 2) Professional Accountability – Doctor, trainer, or mentor
- 3) Social Support – people who are going to support your changes
- Only tell positive people about your goals
- 4) Incentive – can be negative or positive
- 5) The Big Deadline – must have an end point
- The closer the deadline gets the more action you will take
- You need to align your priorities with the pillars as that’s where the breakthroughs come
Managing Accomplishments and Defeat
- We often set too many goals so limit to 3-5 goals
- Categories for goal setting: Health, wealth, social self, and personal enrichment
- Figure out your number one priority in each area
- Control what you can
- Cope with what you cant
- Concentrate on what counts
- Look for the victories in the loss
The Role of a Mentor
- They have been there and done that so can show you what to do
- Mentors help you achieve everything
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe to the show in iTunes
Links to Resources Mentioned
Click to Tweet